Friday, December 17, 2010

A few things I have learned in the past five months...

  • You don't have to use antibiotics for ear infections. See a chiropractor, immune boost with probiotics and vitamin D and use garlic mullein oil topically.
  • Gentian violet treats thrush, but its so hard to quit sugar which is the real problem.
  • The yoga ball is both a blessing and a curse... it gets Jasper to sleep and calms him, but it hurts your back and is more difficult to soothe him without now that he is used to it.
  • Jasper hates diapers. I wish I had started diaper-free "elimination communication" earlier rather than my current approach of just letting him be diaper free, without the communication piece. Which creates a lot of laundry.
  • You can go camping in another country with your 7 week old and your friend who also has a 9 month old, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  • Jasper loves to be outside and he loves trees. Lots of walks!
  • Peek-a-boo is the best game ever.
  • I thought Jasper would never stop nursing and that he would always want to whenever I offered, based on his behavior the first 2 months of his life. Now he's picky about when he nurses.
  • When I was pregnant I was really focused on trying to figure out what I needed for the baby. If I were going to do it again I would get much less newborn and 3-6 months size clothing. Jasper is huge. At 3 months he was in his 6-12 month size. I love the moby carrier for up to 4 or 5 months and now the ergo is my favorite baby carrier. I would get a sheep skin for him to lay on at night or be diaper free. I would get a dozen pocket all in one diapers and a dozen large size prefolds with one woolen cover. I would still get a bouncy seat, but not a swing. A few toys, especially a rattle and teethers are nice. Spilanthes tincture for teething and Bachs Stress Remedy for chilling out.

2 comments:

  1. Probiotics (both for Jasper and for you) are also amazing for thrush. Sounds like you all have had a wonderful and wild ride so far!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We have been using an infant probiotic on and off. We started using it again when he had an ear infection to boost his immune system. I think it really helps... also I just really need to quit sugar. But it's hard, especially this time of the year.

    ReplyDelete